Advantages of Real-time PCR and RD4-PCR as Molecular Methods for Rapid Detection of Bovine Tuberculosis in Bulgaria

Authors

  • Tanya Savova-Lalkovska National Diagnostic and Research Veterinary Medical Institute, Bulgaria
  • Violeta Valcheva The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Department of Infectious Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
  • Albena Dimitrova National Diagnostic and Research Veterinary Medical Institute, Bulgaria
  • Hristo Najdenski The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Department of Infectious Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
  • Magdalena Bonovska The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Department of Infectious Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.7546/CRABS.2022.11.18

Keywords:

cattle, tuberculosis, pathoanatomy, M. bovis, M. caprae, qPCR, RD4-PCR

Abstract

Representatives of Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex (MTBC) are potential causative agents of tuberculosis in animals and humans, and Mycobacterium bovis is considered a major one among domestic and wild ruminants. In the last twenty years, the role of another representative of MTBC – Mycobacterium caprae, has been proven in the countries of Central and Southern Europe. Study sample included 121 diagnostic materials from lymph nodes and lungs from cattle, positively and doubtfully PPD tuberculin-reacted, originating from 6 farms belonging to the 4 regions in Northern and Southern Bulgaria. The bacteriological examination showed typical growth for mycobacteria for 110 (90.9%) samples, which was confirmed by qPCR. By RD4-PCR we proved that 102 (92.7%) of the mycobacterial strains were M. caprae and the remaining 8 strains (7.3%) were M. bovis. This defines M. caprae as a dominant species in the etiology of tuberculosis in cattle in Bulgaria.

In conclusion, we confirmed that the application of real-time PCR is an accurate and convenient method for rapid detection of M. bovis from cattle in the Bulgarian settings. RD4-PCR provides a sufficiently high differentiation and can be used for first-line typing of M. bovis isolates in Bulgaria. This proves the need for the simultaneous application of both methods in the diagnosis of bovine tuberculosis in Bulgaria.

Author Biographies

Tanya Savova-Lalkovska, National Diagnostic and Research Veterinary Medical Institute, Bulgaria

Mailing Address:
National Diagnostic and Research Veterinary Medical Institute
15 A Pencho Slaveykov Blvd
1606 Sofia, Bulgaria

E-mail: tanja_1979@abv.bg

Violeta Valcheva, The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Department of Infectious Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences

Mailing Address:
The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology,
Department of Infectious Microbiology,
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Akad. G. Bonchev St, Bl. 26
1113 Sofia, Bulgaria

E-mail: violeta_valcheva@mail.bg

Albena Dimitrova, National Diagnostic and Research Veterinary Medical Institute, Bulgaria

Mailing Address:
National Diagnostic and Research Veterinary Medical Institute
15 A Pencho Slaveykov Blvd
1606 Sofia, Bulgaria

E-mail: aldimas@abv.bg

Hristo Najdenski, The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Department of Infectious Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences

Mailing Address:
The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology,
Department of Infectious Microbiology,
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Akad. G. Bonchev St, Bl. 26
1113 Sofia, Bulgaria

E-mail: hnajdenski@gmail.com

Magdalena Bonovska, The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology, Department of Infectious Microbiology, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences

Mailing Address:
The Stephan Angeloff Institute of Microbiology,
Department of Infectious Microbiology,
Bulgarian Academy of Sciences
Akad. G. Bonchev St, Bl. 26
1113 Sofia, Bulgaria

E-mail: m_bonovska@abv.bg

Downloads

Published

30-11-2022

How to Cite

[1]
T. Savova-Lalkovska, V. Valcheva, A. Dimitrova, H. Najdenski, and M. Bonovska, “Advantages of Real-time PCR and RD4-PCR as Molecular Methods for Rapid Detection of Bovine Tuberculosis in Bulgaria”, C. R. Acad. Bulg. Sci. , vol. 75, no. 11, pp. 1696–1704, Nov. 2022.

Issue

Section

Medicine